- LL.M. in Taxation, Washington University School of Law (2011), CALI Award for Estate Planning and Drafting: Advanced Topics
- J.D., Washington University School of Law (2006), Order of the Barristers, Dean’s list, Scholars in Law Award, Family Law Society, vice president; Alternative Dispute Resolution Society, president; Wiley Rutledge Moot Court, semi-finalist; American Bar Association Mediation Competition, regional coordinator; Women’s Law Caucus
- B.S.W., East Central University (2001)
- Estate Planning Council
- The Women Lawyers’ Association of Greater St. Louis
- The Missouri Bar: Probate and Trust Committee, Estate Planning Committee member
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis: Young Lawyers Division Pro Bono Committee, former chair
- Washington University School of Law Women’s Law Caucus International Women’s Day 2013 Celebration Honoree
- Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, John R. Essner Award
- 2014 Foster and Adoptive Care Coalition Volunteer of the Year – Junior Board
- Missouri & Kansas Rising Stars, 2014, 2015
MISTY’S BLOG POSTS
- All Married Couples in Missouri Filing Joint Federal Returns Must Also File Joint State ReturnsMarried couples in Missouri who file joint federal tax returns,... Read more »
- Lack of Guidance Leaves Married Gay Couples in Uncertain Tax PositionAlmost every expert out there is weighing in on the... Read more »
Misty Watson focuses her practice on estate planning and administration including probate. She counsels individuals, families, and business owners in the creation of trusts, wills, financial and health care powers of attorney, guardianships, and conservatorships. She also guides trustees through the complexities of the trust administration process.
Addressing families’ planning needs began with Misty’s background in social work. Carrying this experience into her law career allows her to craft approaches that preserve wealth and autonomy while remaining sensitive to individual needs of family members.
Estate Planning. A sound knowledge of estate planning alternatives, tax planning, and business relationships underlies Misty’s approach to estate planning. With a high level of care, she counsels people as they consider important personal, legal, and financial decisions in estate planning, and estate and trust administration.
Special Needs Trusts. Misty is especially well-versed in setting up special needs trusts that qualify persons with special needs for vital government benefits such as Medicaid and Social Security. Each trust is highly-individualized to assure families achieve the day-to-day and long-term arrangements that are in the best interest of their family member with special needs.
Trust & Estate Administration. Upon the death or incapacity of a loved one, the process to wind up affairs and transfer wealth can be overwhelming. Misty and her team work with trustees, executors, and beneficiaries to ensure that a loved one’s estate plan is followed and all legal requirements are met.
Misty is a Washington University School of Law Women’s Law Caucus International Women’s Day 2013 Celebration Honoree. Watson was honored for her work as a volunteer lawyer at Legal Services of Eastern Missouri (LSEM) and as co-founder of the Guardianship and Older Adult Life Planning Project (GOAL Planning Project), a project assisting the elderly offered by LSEM in conjunction with Washington University School of Law.
Misty has been named to the Missouri & Kansas Rising Star list in 2014 and 2015 by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters publication. She was also recognized by The Missouri Bar at the Gold Level for providing pro bono services to the community.
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
Misty delivers presentations to various organizations on a variety of estate planning topics, including:
- Estate Planning for the 21st Century
- Planning for Family Members with Special Needs
- Asset Protection Planning
- Women’s Perspective on Estate Planning
- Guardianships and Conservatorships
- Proper Titling of Fiduciary Accounts
- How to Properly Administer a Trust
- “Planning for the Future” special needs community newsletter
- Beyond The Fine Print blog
- “Involuntary Detention for Mental Illness,” St. Louis Bar Journal
- “Women and the Law,” Washington University, College of Arts & Sciences
- Foster and Adoptive Care Coalition, board member
- Legal Services of Eastern Missouri
- SLARC Young Friends, Development & Donor Cultivation co-chair
- Springboard, board member
- Young Friends of Springboard, founding member
- Estate Planning for the New Year with Misty WatsonMisty Watson, estate planning attorney with Danna McKitrick, talks with... Read more »
- Jeff Schmitt and Misty Watson Named to 2015 Missouri Rising StarsDanna McKitrick, P.C. attorneys Jeffrey R. Schmitt and Misty A.... Read more »